A post shared by isaiah jones (@zay) on Mar 30, 2018 at 9:52am PDT
Buffalo Bills player Zay Jones was arrested for felony vandalism earlier this month after running about naked and trying to jump through the window of his L.A. apartment. Thankfully his brother Cayleb Jones was present to restrain him until police arrived. Zay has remained quiet since the incident but broke his silence on his 23rd birthday.
The simple Instagram post shows the Bills player with his arms outstretched facing a body of water with the caption, “thankful to be alive. thankful for another year. more life.”
Zay will not face any criminal charges for the incident and his family has already covered the cost of the repairs to the apartment building. The young player received tons of support and prayers since the troubling incident and continued to receive love on his birthday.
TMZ has obtained footage of rapper Fabolous flying into a complete rage against longtime girlfriend Emily B and her father, all while carrying what appears to be a sharp object and hurling threats at the them.
The video, shot Wednesday in the driveway of Fab and Emily B’s New Jersey home, shows the rapper’s bodyguard attempting to hold him back as he shouts at his girlfriend and her father, who was visiting the home. Emily shrieks as Fab lunges at her. He angrily asks why her father is at their home in the first place, to which Emily’s dad shouts back, “That’s my motherf—–g daughter!”
A child is also heard screaming in the background.
The disturbing footage comes amid claims from Emily that Fab knocked out two of her teeth on March 7, TMZ reported. In the clip, Emily is seen trying to film her boyfriend’s violent behavior, which seemed to enrage him even more.
The incident is what prompted authorities to respond to the home that day. According to TMZ, Fab later turned himself in and was charged with aggravated assault and making a terrorist threat. Emily told cops she sent a relative to their home to remove two firearms she feared Fab would use on her when he got home, according to the celebrity news site.
The shocking video has garnered tons of reactions on social media.
The way Emily B backed up when Fab moved toward her said it all. That’s real fear—even with her family & his security there. SMH.
That Fab and Emily TMZ video has me nauseated. I’m hoping the best for Emily and that she heals in the most beautiful way. She doesn’t deserve to have been terrorized all these years by a mediocre “rapper” slanging a paper towel durag.
If you watch the video of fabolous..you see how he threatened to shoot the daddy but he kept charging at emily and didnt go charging at the daddy not once…these the type of niggas that wont raise a hand to fight another man but will beat a woman wit all his might #DudeIsABitch
Every time a celebrity who never get in trouble be in the news for somethin wild I be wonderin what triggered da nigga. Like what Emily say to dat nigga Fab? They was probably arguin one day and she was like “Nigga you can’t even dress” and bruh lost it. Women always go low
Ppl are really asking why Emily B recorded Fab’s rage & threats like anyone would have believed her otherwise. They don’t even believe it WITH the video! She’s doing what she needs for her & her kids, cause he’s clearly terrifying.
Some folks have taken issue with the textbook chosen for a mandated Black History course at Bridgeport, Conn. schools because it doesn’t discuss the era of Black, or African, history prior to slavery.
District leaders have chosen Henry Louis Gate’s Jr’s “The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross” as the required text, but not everyone is happy about it. Writer Donald Yacovone co-authored the history book.
“Our history doesn’t start here,” community member JoAnn Kennedy argued. “This book starts here in America. We have history before that.”
According to the Connecticut Post, Bridgeport is only the second school district in the nation to require all students, beginning with the class of 2020, to take a half-year course in Black Studies, Caribbean/Latin American Studies or Perspectives on Race in order to graduate.
The classes are being developed with the help of a grant and a committee comprised of eight district staff members, while the texts were chosen with the help of consultants. Those consultants will also help train the teachers who’ll be offering the classes this fall, the newspaper reported.
For the African-American Studies course, district leaders turned to David Canton, a professor and director of Connecticut College’s Africana Studies Program. Assistant Superintendent Deborah Santacapita also weighed in, saying Gates’ book was up-to-date and encompassed a nearly 500-year span of history across Africa and other continents.
“We wanted to find a book that not only addressed African-American history but through the lenses of all different people” Santacapita said. “That was hard.”
The $15.45 piece price tag was also a plus for the cash-strapped school district. Leaders hope to purchase at least 800 copies to start with.
This was no consolation to community members like Kennedy who called the book’s lack of content on pre-slavery times a “disservice.”
“This is totally unacceptable,” she griped. “I don’t care how much money you saved on it.”
Kennedy, along with city council member Karen Jackson, grilled the school board’s Teaching and Learning Committee about the selected texts, and complained about the lack of parent input during the selection process, the CT Post reported. Board member Ben Walker replied by explaining that it’s not uncommon for schools to select textbooks without consulting parents and emphasized that the district consulted with experts about the texts that were chosen.
“Nothing is permanent,” Walker said. “In a year or two we may decide they’re not sufficient.”
“We can’t teach the entire history in one semester,” he added. “This is the era we chose.”
Texas woman Crystal Mason, 43, was sentenced to five years in prison on Wednesday for unknowingly committing voter fraud by voting in the 2016 election. Three white people charged with the same crime weren’t remanded to a jail cell, however.
Mason, a Black mother of two, was on supervised release for a prior fraud conviction when she cast her ballot in the presidential election. She said no one informed her that she was barred from voting until her sentence was completed. Now, she’s headed back to prison.
The outcome was much different for other folks who voted illegally.
A North Carolina woman cast a vote for President Donald Trump on behalf of her mother, who had recently died. The grieving woman claimed she had no idea she couldn’t vote on behalf of a dead person. No charges were ever filed in that case, Raw Story reported.
“This woman is 67 years old and has never run afoul of the law for anything more serious than a speeding ticket,” District Attorney David Learner said in a statement. “It’s not in the public’s interest to charge her with this felony offense.”
Over in Iowa, a woman named Terri Lynn Rote tried to vote for Trump twice. Her excuse? She believed Trump when he claimed the “election is rigged,” so she cast a second vote out of fear that her first one would be changed to support Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. Rote was let off with probation and a $750 fine.
A former Republican party chair in Colorado was slapped with three years of probation and 300 hours of community service after he admitted to mailing in a ballot on his wife’s behalf. He blamed the mistake on a “major diabetic episode” and claimed he had no recollection of filling out the ballot.
Despite these similar fraudster cases, Mason was the only one to receive jail time.
Coincidence? We think not.
NC white woman who admitted voter fraud: No charges. CO white man convicted of voter fraud: Probation, comm service. IA white woman convicted of voter fraud: Probation, $750 fine. TX black woman convicted of voter fraud: 5 years IN PRISON. Which of these is not like the other?
A Texas high school student has his choice of top schools to go to after getting accepted to 20 universities across the nation.
Micheal Brown, who attends Mirabeau B. Lamar High School in Houston, Texas, received full-ride offers from schools including four Ivy Leagues — one of which was his top choice. Micheal, who also nabbed $260,000 in scholarships, had dreamed of attending California’s Stanford University as a child coming of age in the Third Ward.
Micheal, who was inspired by seeing his mother Berthinia Rutledge-Brown graduate college as an elementary school student, admitted to KHOU that he was “nervous” even though he studies “a considerable amount.” Rutledge-Brown revealed to CNN in a separate interview that she’d lost 3 other children before conceiving Micheal. After she finally had a son, she “poured all of her energy into giving him the very best that she possibly could.” The hard work, dedication and love paid off. Micheal is a self-motivated child, according to his mother, who took control of his education after the 6th grade. He’s only received one B thus far and even that was “very difficult” for him.
But the high achiever has something else to potentially fret about. He’ll have to choose from 19 other schools to attend, including Harvard, Yale, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, Johns Hopkins and USC-Berkley to name a few.
Where ever Micheal, decides to go, the student with a 4.68 GPA knows he’d like to major in politics before pursuing a law degree.
“Politics is the route for making changes on a bigger scale and working with people in the community,” he said.
As for other students who may want to achieve what he did but have their doubts, the debate team member and 100 Black Men of Houston member has a few words of encouragement.
“Be helpful. Dream big. Don’t be afraid,” Micheal said. “Be proud of your family, love yourself, love your community and then share your story. Inspire other people to really reach for the stars and achieve their dreams.”
Micheal has until May 1 to make a final decision on where he’ll spend the next four years.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Calls for justice and charges against two police officers who fatally shot an unarmed black man aren’t abating in California’s capital city after an autopsy showed Stephon Clark was shot in the back, a counter to the department’s statement that he was approaching officers when he was killed.
“His back was turned — he didn’t get a chance,” said Latarria McCain, who joined several hundred people protesting downtown Friday, a larger crowd than those at three previous protests.
Sacramento native and former NBA player Matt Barnes has organized another rally for Saturday afternoon, hours before a Sacramento Kings-Golden State Warriors game will bring thousands of fans to the downtown arena that protesters have twice blocked.
Several Kings players joined black community activists’ calls for racial justice at a Friday night community meeting, nearly two weeks after Clark’s March 18 death.
“I want to make sure that these mistakes that keep happening have consequences,” player Garrett Temple said.
Earlier, the famed pathologist Dr. Bennet Omalu announced Clark was hit by eight bullets — six in the back, one in the neck and one in the thigh — and took three to 10 minutes to die. Police waited about five minutes before rendering medical aid.
“The proposition that has been presented that he was assailing the officers, meaning he was facing the officers, is inconsistent with the prevailing forensic evidence,” Omalu said at a news conference with family attorney Benjamin Crump.
He said it was not clear if Clark would have survived had he gotten immediate medical attention.
Sacramento police responded with a brief statement that said the department had not yet received an official autopsy report from the Sacramento County coroner’s office. It said the coroner’s death investigation is independent from the investigation being conducted by police and the state Department of Justice.
A day after the shooting, police distributed a press release that said the officers who shot Clark “saw the suspect facing them, advance forward with his arms extended, and holding an object in his hands.”
Police video of the shooting doesn’t clearly capture all that happened after Clark ran into his grandmother’s backyard. He initially moved toward the officers, who are peeking out from behind a corner of the house, but it’s not clear he’s facing them or that he knows they are there when they open fire after shouting “gun, gun, gun.”
After 20 shots, officers call to him, apparently believing he might still be alive and armed. They eventually approach and find no gun, just a cellphone.
“When a young man who is 22 is shot down in his grandma’s backyard, which is supposed to be a safe place, I don’t know. What’s beyond a crisis?” said Nikki Whitfield, who works at a local adoption agency and attended the community forum.
With a joyous but somber feel, the event marked a change in tone from the protests that have disrupted the capital city’s downtown. But the message was similar, with several hundred members of the black community discussing police brutality and calling out of the names of black people who have been killed by law enforcement.
Later downtown, protesters chanted outside City Hall before marching, with some briefly entering a downtown bar and chanting Clark’s name.
Gov. Jerry Brown issued his first statement on the situation Friday, calling it a tragic death that “raises a number of very serious questions and I support the California Attorney General’s independent oversight of the investigation.”
The autopsy was released a day after an emotional funeral service. The Rev. Al Sharpton delivered the eulogy and praised demonstrators for their restraint and urged them to follow the lead of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and his advocacy of nonviolent protest.