Austin Police Chief Finally Sees the Light, Calls Austin Bomber a ‘Domestic Terrorist’

 

Austin Interim Police Chief Brian Manley says he’s now comfortable calling the Austin serial bomber a “domestic terrorist.”

Manley made the distinction during a Thursday panel discussion on how the police, media and the community responded to the fatal bombings, the Austin Statesman reported. The chief faced criticism earlier this month for his sympathetic description of bombing suspect Mark Conditt, 23, who he called a “very challenged young man.”

” … When I look at what he did to our community and as your police chief—I actually agree now, that he was a domestic terrorist for what he did to us,” Manley told the crowd. “This is a distinction I wanted to make today.”

Conditt killed two people and injured four others with package explosives he sent to the victims’ homes. The first three victims were minorities, leading authorities to believe the crimes could be racially motivated. The bombings left Austin residents on high alert for weeks, until Conditt blew himself up in a car as police closed in on him.

Knowing the case would enter the legal system at some point, Manley said he was trying to be sensitive about the terminology he used during the investigation, the newspaper stated. That “sensitivity” prompted critics to highlight the differences in how police and the media characterize white suspects compared to Black and brown ones.

Some audience members were pleased with Manley acknowledging the bombings were domestic terrorism, but for others, the distinction came a little too late.

“We do not know, we will not know what that qualification more early in the investigation would have done, what resources would have been provided to make sure that more lives weren’t lost,” attendee Kristina Brown of Counter Balance ATX told the Austin Statesman.

Audience member Zeke Prado was also upset by how the serial bomber was initially characterized.

“He terrorized the city of Austin,” Prado said.


Source: Black info

Mo’Nique Tackles Tiffany Haddish’s Recent Netflix Remarks with ‘Love’

 

Days after Tiffany Haddish’s GQ profile made headlines, Mo’Nique is addressing comments “The Last O.G.” actress made regarding the Oscar winner’s conflict with Netflix.

On Thursday, March 29 full episode of “Mo’Nique & Sidney’s Open Relationship,” Mo’Nique began by reading Haddish’s remarks regarding questions surrounding Haddish’s Netflix deal. They came in the wake of Mo’Nique boycotting the streaming service for simply offering her $500,000 to do a comedy special.

“Haddish told GQ when discussing Mo’Nique’s boycott against Netflix and residuals, ‘My business run different than her business.’”

“The 38-year-old actress continued, ‘I don’t live her life. I don’t have that husband of hers. I’m looking at how [Netflix has] opened up so many opportunities for Black females and comedy. When my people are dying, that’s when you gonna catch me protesting. I’m not gonna protest because somebody got offered not the amount of money they wanted to get offered. If you don’t like what they’re offering you, just no longer do business with them. If I protest Netflix — what about all the Black shows that are on there? What about all the other actors that are working on there? All the Indians, the Hispanics, the Asians?’”

Despite rumblings of a beef between the comediennes, Mo’Nique maintains it’s all love for the rising star.

“Because number one, she’s my sister universally and she’s my sister in comedy,” she says. “However, I understand what she’s saying because she know not what she says.”

Mo’Nique explained that when BET airing “Comic View,” comedian Hope Flood had a petition saying comics should avoid going on because the network wouldn’t pay for airfare and hotel stays. Mo’Nique questioned why Flood would block their opportunities and Flood said that mentality meant the network would never pay for comedians to go on the show.

In essence, that’s the fight Mo’Nique is having today with Netflix. Still, she said she doesn’t fault Haddish.

“There’s nothing Tiffany Haddish can say that’s gone stop me from loving and supporting Tiffany Haddish,” Mo’Nique says. “Because what Tiffany Haddish has to understand, what all of us have to understand, there’s some babies coming behind us. Just like with us.”

She said that women like herself and those before her have “kicked in the door” for Haddish, who in turn will do the same for other young women after her.

“So what I will say to my sister is: don’t allow this industry … to start making your opinion of something of knocking someone that you don’t know,” Mo’Nique says.

Additionally, Mo’Nique addressed Haddish’s comments about her husband, Sidney Hicks, who has been criticised for leading the way to Mo’Nique being hard to work with.

“No, you don’t (have a husband like hers),” the “Queens of Comedy” star says. “But if you did, the deals may be a little better.”


Source: Black info

Ne-Yo Tells Black Folks to Calm Down Over Bruno Mars, Music is Colorless

Interview Bruno Ne-Yo
YouTube

In the last round of the cultural appropriation debate regarding Bruno Mars, Stevie Wonder weighed in and defended the “24K Magic” singer, and before that producer 9th Wonder and The Gap Band’s Charlie Wilson did the same.

The topic really heated up when activist Seren Sensei said Mars benefits from music that’s traditionally made by Black artists, and now Ne-Yo has shared his thoughts.

In short, he said that people are wrong to criticize the pop star because his success comes from the songs he writes, not his race. “I don’t think it has anything to do with Black music, white music, whatever nationality [Bruno Mars] is,” said Ne-Yo.

“Bruno Mars is ridiculously talented, and the songs that everybody’s talking about are just that damn good to where I don’t honestly feel like it would matter who else was singing them,” he added. “If you were singing them the way he’s singing them and giving the character, charisma and personality to them the way he’s giving them, then I feel like they’d be just as successful.”

In another part of the discussion, the “Make Me Better” crooner responded to critics who said he’s left R&B music for EDM, which he said isn’t the case at all.

“God put music in me, not R&B music, not Dance music, not Pop music but music,” Ne-Yo explained. “I could turn around and do a country record if I feel like. This is who I am, this is what I am and I’m not gonna downplay that because a few Black people are mad because I ain’t doing just R&B no more. The world is bigger than that.”

As far as Bruno Mars and the cultural appropriation debate, Ne-Yo said that music is colorless and it doesn’t belong to anyone, so those blasting the Hawaiian born singer need to relax a little.

“People take music and put this ownership on it, like can’t nobody else touch it, and that’s not how it’s supposed to go,” said Ne-Yo. “Music is supposed to be for everybody. It’s about the love and appreciation … not ‘This is ours and if you don’t look like me you can’t do it.’”


Source: Black info

Tyra Banks Talks Natural Beauty and Nose Jobs

Rise up

A post shared by Tyra Banks (@tyrabanks) on Mar 25, 2018 at 8:39am PDT

Former super model Tyra Banks is known for her beauty, and image. She revealed in a recent memoir, that she had a nose job early in her career and shared her feelings on the concept of “natural beauty.”

In Banks newest memoir “Perfect Is Boring” she said, “I had bones in my nose that were growing and itching.” She continued, “I could breathe fine, but I added cosmetic surgery. I admit it! Fake hair, and I did my nose. I feel I have a responsibility to tell the truth.”

Then the “America’s Next Top Model” host spoke about people who naturally fit in society’s standard of beauty criticizing women who get work done. “Natural beauty is unfair.” She goes on, “I get really uncomfortable when women who are these natural beauties judge anybody who does anything to themselves.”

Banks uplifted all women whether they were born with the standard of beauty of not. She said, “Fix it or flaunt it – I think women should be able to do both.” She continued, “There is a boundary line, either you’re super natural or you live at the plastic surgeon. It’s OK to hop back and forth over that line. You want a hair weave? Fine. You want permanent eyebrows? We as women need to stop judging.”


Source: Black info

Black Student Receives Racist Tinder Message from Match Asking If She’s ‘Dressed As King Kong or Harambe’

Racist Tinder Messages
As part of a “dare”, student Nnenna Asubo was if she was dressed as “Harambe or King Kong?” (Image courtesy of The Tab)

A Black law student said she was shocked after receiving a series of racist messages from a man she matched with on the dating app Tinder.

Nnenna Asubo, a sophomore at University College London, posted screenshots of the text thread between her and Kings College London engineering student Declan Haim, declaring the messages were “further proof that racism is alive and well in 2018.”

Hiam opened the conversation with a distasteful joke in reference to the Batman theme song before asking Asubo if she was dressed as “King Kong, Harambe or Donkey Kong.”

“Excuse me?,” Asubo replied, confused and offended by the question. The U.K. law student tried to laugh it off as a bold statement, to which Hiam confessed his remarks were part of a dare with friends.

“Pls don’t lynch me,” he pleaded.

Speaking to The Tab, Hiam, 21, explained he sent the messages as part of a game with his friends in which they flirted with the matches who liked them but would otherwise not give the time of day. The goal? To get someone to unmatch you as quickly as possible.

“The intent wasn’t racially driven,” he told the news site. “I felt horrible sending every one of those messages. I explained immediately after that it was a dare. And I apologized [for] them directly.”

Asubo didn’t find the messages funny in the least bit and made that crystal clear.

“…I was in shock to begin with simply because after all the other incidents happening at other unis [universities], I couldn’t believe that he would be stupid enough to use racial slurs that could potentially land him in trouble,” she told The Tab. “After the ‘King Kong’ comment, which he followed with ‘Harambe’ and ‘Donkey Kong,’ it was just really apparent that the didn’t find anything wrong with what he was saying.”

Racist Tinder Messages
Images courtesy of The Tab
Racist Tinder Messages
Image courtesy of The Tab

After the incident, Asubo found Hiam’s social media pages and posted the damning screenshots for all his friends to see. Hiam has since made his accounts private, according to the news site.

“Honestly, there is no reply I can give to you that is gonna change anyone’s opinion on me after reading this article,” the aspiring engineer said of his actions, saying people will likely think he’s “some horrible pro-right extremist.” ” … They couldn’t be the furthest from the truth. They don’t know me. I am not a racist.”

A spokesman for Kings College London said officials have been made aware of the incident and are investigating the matter.


Source: Black info

Man Exonerated After 45 Years In Prison Says Criminal Justice System Works Just Not Fast Enough

Conviction Overturned
Richard Phillips, right, hugs Det. Patricia Little in a Wayne County, Mich., courtroom on Wednesday, March 28, 2018, in Detroit. Phillips, a Michigan man whose murder conviction was thrown out after he spent 45 years in prison will not face a second trial. (AP Photo/Ed White)

DETROIT (AP) — A Detroit-area man whose murder conviction was thrown out after he spent 45 years in prison was exonerated Wednesday and won’t face a second trial.

Richard Phillips, 71, was upbeat, saying the criminal justice system “works — it just didn’t work fast enough.”

A judge granted a request to permanently drop the case against Phillips, whose conviction was erased last year. Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy said a new investigation by her office backed his claim that he had no role in a 1971 fatal shooting.

She said a key witness lied at his 1972 trial.

“There’s nothing I can say to bring back 40 years of his life,” Worthy said. “The system failed him. This is a true exoneration.”

The case was reopened at the urging of the Innocence Clinic at University of Michigan law school after a co-defendant at the ’72 trial told the state parole board that Phillips wasn’t involved in the slaying of Gregory Harris.

Phillips had been free on bond since December. He likely will be eligible for more than $2 million under Michigan’s wrongful conviction law.

No one in the U.S. has served more years in prison before being exonerated than Phillips, said David Moran, director of the Innocence Clinic.

“I’ve never carried bitterness around, so I’m not a bitter man,” Phillips told reporters when asked about his decades in prison.

One of his goals: A reunion with two children who were ages 2 and 4 when he went to prison in 1972. Despite publicity about his case, Phillips said he hasn’t heard from them and doesn’t know their whereabouts.

“You have seen the worst and best of the criminal justice system,” Judge Kevin Cox told Phillips.

Phillips has settled in a Detroit suburb and attends a church where he shares his story with others.

“His freedom truly belongs to him again,” Moran said.


Source: Black info

Copyright CONTEXT19.COM 2019
Shale theme by Siteturner
Skip to toolbar